Lancia Gamma Consortium AGM and Rally: 13-15 September 2024. For accommodation details please click here.

Welcome, Guest. May 03, 2024, 02:58:19 pm

+  Lancia Gamma Forum
|-+  Lancia Gamma Forum General Category
| |-+  General Discussion Forum
| | |-+  camshaft lobe lubrication

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: camshaft lobe lubrication  (Read 528 times)
keri
Consortium Member

« on: January 08, 2023, 09:27:57 pm »

hi all as you are aware I'm in the middle of a pair of head replacements and noticed one of my camshaft lobes had worn quite badly so I've replaced the shaft   but i can  see the cam rotating shaft is lubricated by engine oil pressure via small holes but can see nothing for the lobes so do the rely on oil spray ect?
Charles
Consortium Member

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2023, 01:36:39 pm »

The cam shaft lobes are lubricated by oil that is sprayed from little holes at the base of each rocker.  The problem with the Gamma flat four is that the oil in the cam chamber drains back to the sump when the engine is not running and over time the lobes can loose the oil film protection.  It takes 3 - 5 seconds for oil pressure to build up at start-up and re-establish the oil film through the rocker spray holes.  So, if a long period has elapsed since the engine was last run, it is good practise to disconect the HT lead from the dizzy and turn the engine over on the starter motor until the oil pressure warning light goes out.  This re-lubricates the cam lobes and the HT lead can then be replaced and the engine started.  It is also recommended to use fully synthetic oil as the film strength is stronger (even though the oil seems thinner) although I generall use a good quality semi-synthetic for "classic" engines.
Of course, the real answer is to use your Gamma regularly!
keri
Consortium Member

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2023, 09:48:03 pm »

many thanks Charles for the answer
Pages: [1] Print

« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: The Gamma Consortium Website and the Lancia Gamma Forum are available free and are non-profit websites run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Lancia Gamma. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by the Gamma Consortium or any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in the Forum are those of the contributors and not of the Gamma Consortium. The Gamma Consortium cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The Administrators and Moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a discriminatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.

Lancia Gamma Forum Powered by SMF 1.1.21 SMF © 2006, Simple Machines
If you have questions, comments or suggestions about this website, please e-mail lgf@gammaconsortium.com

Click to visit www.Thotos.com