Welcome, Guest. April 29, 2024, 02:50:39 am

+  Lancia Gamma Forum
|-+  Lancia Gamma Forum General Category
| |-+  General Discussion Forum
| | |-+  thermostst modification

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: thermostst modification  (Read 3575 times)
keri
Consortium Member

« on: June 06, 2021, 03:04:56 pm »

Hello hope this finds everybody well, i was wondering if any body had carried out the thermostat modification to their Gamma I've seen it is relocated to the top hose using a Renault stat and was wondering if this is done as maybe the original is no longer available or that it offers an improvement on the original set up, for me the original set up seems right as the stats is situated as near as possible the cylinder head  and block where the heat is, and by moving it to the top hose takes it away from the hottest place and a possible lower   temperature in the top hose compared to the cylinder head/block? Mine still has its original stats in the correct place so i will remove it and test it, are replacements available? if not in the top hose it is but maybe as close to the engine as is possible.
thanks
Keri
inthedark
Consortium Member

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 07:30:00 pm »

I have a Renault 5 thermostat in
the top hose, butted up against
the output from the top rail.
I used a lower temperature stat
with lower temperature fan switch
plus a twin push fans.
All works fine for me.
keri
Consortium Member

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2021, 10:00:06 pm »

Hi thanks for that i have a renault stat rated at opening at 75 degrees so will fit this but i am interested in the fan switch you used with a lower switching temperature what was this off and how did you fit yours also is there any reason why the stats are now fitted at the top hose and not in the bottom one right next to where the original was fitted.
regards
Keri
inthedark
Consortium Member

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 10:24:10 pm »

Heat rises so higher thermostat
reacts quicker, Theo recommends
Drilling a small hole in the operating
plate in the thermostat.
For the fan switch I just asked the
accessories shop for a 79 degree
Sensor of the same thread.
Theo
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2021, 12:29:46 am »

Yes, I think the standard Gamma thermostat is in the wrong place as heat rises so the hottest water will be at the top. Then again, I think one of the Gammas problems is that the water pump area gets very hot and once the water starts to boil at that point, the pump cavitates so there's no water movement and a vicious circle starts that causes the car to overheat. I do think a small 3mm hole in the Renault 5 thermostat in the top hose is necessary to get some circulation of coolant through the thermostat for better temperature sensing. Especially important if you remove the bypass pipe which normally routes water from the pump to the top rail when the standard blender thermostat is closed. I have blocked off that pipe and I think it should be when not using a blender thermostat. An impeller pump, which is what a water pump is, will not build up pressure if the pipes are closed but for temperature sensing you want to have some movement of coolant flowing through the thermostat. I have also added an adjustable thermoswitch for the cooling fan (or fans in my case, I have three!!) with its sensor probe in the top hose. I can therefore adjust the temperature that the fans start.
keri
Consortium Member

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2021, 06:25:59 pm »

just a quick on the adjustable  switch is this the one with a probe into the top of the radiator and the wire under the top hose to the adjuster if so did you have any leak issues at the hose where the wire exits i know the top hose is clamped but the wire still comes through?  thanks for all your replies
Keri
Theo
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2021, 07:08:25 pm »

I've used something similar to https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402831865782

No leak problems as it comes with a rubber insert that fits inside the top hose with a channel for the probe. 
Pages: [1] Print

« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: The Gamma Consortium Website and the Lancia Gamma Forum are available free and are non-profit websites run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Lancia Gamma. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by the Gamma Consortium or any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in the Forum are those of the contributors and not of the Gamma Consortium. The Gamma Consortium cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The Administrators and Moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a discriminatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.

Lancia Gamma Forum Powered by SMF 1.1.21 SMF © 2006, Simple Machines
If you have questions, comments or suggestions about this website, please e-mail lgf@gammaconsortium.com

Click to visit www.Thotos.com