Welcome, Guest. April 27, 2024, 07:02:45 am

+  Lancia Gamma Forum
|-+  Lancia Gamma Forum General Category
| |-+  Technical Tips
| | |-+  FM Radio reception

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: FM Radio reception  (Read 3579 times)
Mark
Consortium Member

« on: February 09, 2020, 07:23:17 pm »

My coupe has always had poor fm reception. Recently it’s almost completely gone.
Have now finally managed to sort it.

So first of all I got a good quality aerial. Those cheap eBay electric aerials just never seemed to work.
I bought an old stock part that fitted the steep angle on the rear wing where mine is fitted. It’s Japanese and very well made.
Secondly I replaced the coaxial cable from aerial to radio. I used domestic tv cable and fitted the correct car type connectors. I also routed the cable away from other wires, wherever possible.
Anyway it works perfectly now everywhere.
Theo
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 04:26:42 pm »

Good news that your car radio now works well. When restoring my car, I decided that I didn't like having an aerial mounted on the rear wing (spoils the lines of the car and its symmetry I thought  Roll Eyes ) so I got rid of the aerial and welded up the hole. "I know a lot about aerials" I told myself "so I can replace it with something unobtrusive".  How wrong I was! I first tried using the rear window demister, Mercedes do that so if it's good enough for them it's good enough for me. Didn't work! Then I created a hidden aerial in the A-pillar molding. Worked reasonably OK until the molding was put fully back in place. Then I bought an amplified aerial that sticks to the top of the windscreen. Reasonably unobtrusive and the little red power LED gives some ambient lighting in the Gamma  Cheesy Works OK as an aerial but not as good as a proper external aerial.

But if I may be a bit pedantic here, your aerial would have worked even better if you used the proper radio aerial coaxial cable with 50 ohm impedance.  TV cable has a 75 ohm impedance which will degrade the signal from your aerial. 50 ohm cable is used in radio transmitter antenna connections, many measurement devices and in data communications (Ethernet). 75 ohm coaxial cable is used to carry video signals, TV antenna signals and digital audio signals.
Mark
Consortium Member

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 10:54:38 pm »

Theo,
I also tried other hidden aerials as I don’t like the wing mounted ones.
Also couldn’t find one that worked.
It did occur to me though that perhaps a roof aerial would look and work best of all.

Didn’t know that about the coaxial cable. I will definitely change it. It’s seems quite hard to get anything that’s good quality though.
inthedark
Consortium Member

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 10:51:51 pm »

Most cars that use a roof aerial
will use a long extension lead
Should be available from the spares
department or accessories shop.
Theo
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 01:03:48 am »

Didn’t know that about the coaxial cable. I will definitely change it. It’s seems quite hard to get anything that’s good quality though.

Something like this should be OK https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-OHM-VERY-LOW-LOSS-COAX-CABLE-S400-LMR400-Equivalent-Amateur-Radio-HQ-LOT/332483525479
Pages: [1] Print

« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: The Gamma Consortium Website and the Lancia Gamma Forum are available free and are non-profit websites run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Lancia Gamma. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by the Gamma Consortium or any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in the Forum are those of the contributors and not of the Gamma Consortium. The Gamma Consortium cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The Administrators and Moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a discriminatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.

Lancia Gamma Forum Powered by SMF 1.1.21 SMF © 2006, Simple Machines
If you have questions, comments or suggestions about this website, please e-mail lgf@gammaconsortium.com

Click to visit www.Thotos.com