Welcome, Guest. April 27, 2024, 06:09:06 pm

+  Lancia Gamma Forum
|-+  Lancia Gamma Forum General Category
| |-+  General Discussion Forum
| | |-+  fireing order

Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: fireing order  (Read 2109 times)
keri
Consortium Member

« on: April 12, 2020, 09:39:58 am »

HI looking to confirm cylinder orientation and firing order on my  series 2 gamma coupe,
I've assumed cyl no1 is drivers side front and cyl 2 passenger side front then cyl no 3 drivers side rear and 4 passenger side rear is this correct if not which way is it also the fireing order I've seen some say its 1342 others 1234 I can work it out when i can confirm cylinder orientation.
thanks
keri
Theo
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 04:06:13 pm »

Cylinder numbers are cast (marked) on the block. Cylinder 1 is near side front, cylinder 2 is offside front, cylinder 3 is near side rear,  and cylinder 4 is offside rear. The firing sequence is 1-3-2-4.  This has been discussed many times in the past because the firing order of a true boxer engine like the Gamma is Left, Left, Right, Right.

Have a look at my very old forum posting from 2006 (in the old, old forum!  Shocked) at http://lanciagammaconsortium.info/gamma/_forum/0000019e.htm

"I too was confused about this but your Gamma manual is correct for the firing order and so are the cylinder markings on the block. The balance of the engine is dependant on the position of the pistons and not the firing of the spark plugs. The boxer engine is also commonly known as a “horizontally opposed engine” because the opposite pistons reach top dead centre simultaneously, thus balancing each other with respect to momentum. So when number 1 piston is travelling into the cylinder, the opposite piston in cylinder 2 is also travelling into the cylinder. So 1 is in power stroke so 2 must be in intake stroke and pistons 3 and 4 are travelling outwards is compression and exhaust strokes. So the next cylinder to fire is number 3 having just done its compression stroke at which time the opposing cylinder number 4 is in the intake stroke while 2 is in compression stroke and 1 is in exhaust stroke. Then number 2 fires while 1 is in intake stroke, 4 is in compression and 3 is in exhaust. Then 4 fires, 3 is intake, 2 is exhaust and 1 is compression. "

You can see the very very old original forum at http://lanciagammaconsortium.info/gamma/index.htm.

The articles are still there containing a lot of information but the "Next" and "Previous" buttons don't work so you need to use your back button to return to the home page before going onto the next post or reply. Maybe I should try transferring all that information to the current forum....
keri
Consortium Member

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 06:30:29 pm »

Thanks for that Theo you sure know your Gammas, can i ask another thing why don't the Gamma  coupe have a Gamma name badge?
regards
Keri
Theo
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 09:23:42 pm »

Thanks for that Theo you sure know your Gammas, can i ask another thing why don't the Gamma  coupe have a Gamma name badge?
regards
Keri

I'm not sure I understand! Gamma Coupes, in fact all Gammas have the Greek letter γ (Γαμμα - Gamma) at the back. The only Gamma I know of that has the words 'GAMMA' (printed in Times Roman capital letters) was the Scala.

* Coupe.JPG (51.94 KB, 800x581 - viewed 86 times.)

* Scala.JPG (130.73 KB, 965x556 - viewed 104 times.)
Pages: [1] Print

« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: The Gamma Consortium Website and the Lancia Gamma Forum are available free and are non-profit websites run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Lancia Gamma. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by the Gamma Consortium or any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in the Forum are those of the contributors and not of the Gamma Consortium. The Gamma Consortium cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The Administrators and Moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a discriminatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.

Lancia Gamma Forum Powered by SMF 1.1.21 SMF © 2006, Simple Machines
If you have questions, comments or suggestions about this website, please e-mail lgf@gammaconsortium.com

Click to visit www.Thotos.com